Monday 5 November 2012

An ode to Lakeland Plastics

Before regular cooking commences tomorrow, I HAVE to let you know that, last week in the UK, I was finally able - after a far too long exile - to pray at the altar of Lakeland Plastics again!! For the uninitiated, Lakeland (www.lakeland.co.uk) is "the home of creative kitchenware" where one can find the latest and most useful utensils, gadgets and appliances: stepping into one of their stores is like entering an Aladdin's Cave of "shiny things" that one didn't even know existed - but simply has to have NOW! So here's my haul:



  • 3 clip-shut storage boxes (buy 2 get 1 free)
  • 25 sealing clips (I use those for EVERYTHING)
  • oven gloves made from Kevlar (SO brilliant - my old ones lasted 10 years)
  • miniature whisk (free with the 3 storage boxes)
  • 15cm paring knife (can't have too many knives!)
  • OXO 500ml angled measuring jug (I also have the small 60ml one)
  • fizz keeper for "pop bottles" (this one is really for me - not the kids)
  • julienne peeler (perfect for my Japanese/Asian salads and/or decorations - AND only £2.99)
  • stopper for champagne/Sekt/sparkly (REALLY works - even for a few days)
  • fruit&veg fridge cushion - no more "moulding" (fingers crossed on that one...)
  • microwave saucepan - WITH integrated strainer!
  • OXO flexible omelette/pancake turner - perfect action
  • 10 4cm high stackable boxes (simply the best - I "lost" my last one recently)


What I forgot to buy:

  • non-slip silicone pastry mat (62x42cm) - perfect for kneading and rolling dough/pastry (I inherited my old one from my mother, but after 40 years of use it is sadly no longer in top condition)


But here are some items that I DIDN'T buy:

  • The "Bag Master": a contraption for "filling freezer bags easily" £6.99 (I'll just pop them in a high jug as before...)
  • The "Banana Guard: no more bruising!" £5.49 (I thought they already came in a "peely guard"??)
  • Electric Plate Warmer £34.99 (my husbands covets this one, I don't - sorry!)



No comments:

Post a Comment