Monday 22 October 2012

A gravy boat malfunction...


The Sunday roast yesterday was pork - nothing out of the ordinary there. HOWEVER, things took a dramatic turn for the unexpected when it came to pouring the gravy into the sauce boat: the vessel (which had been in service for at least 15 years) suddenly CRACKED horizontally in two - oozing the lava-hot liquid all over the work surface, onto the floor - and into the three food drawers underneath! (My husband was quick to offer an unusual "explanation" for this - which he has since recanted.)

But to the joint in question: two nice "couronnes" (loin with bones) at 800g each. They were as cheap as chips (from GB/Carrefour) AND 30% off (alltogether just over €6 (£4.80) - now that's a bargain!). I'm sure you all have your own "way" of roasting pork, but if not: I start off my seasoned joint(s) in the pre-heated oven at 230° for 20 mins and then 25 - 30 mins at 200° per pound. I can just put it in the oven like that because - UNFORTUNATELY - I don't have to "worry" about crackling - which is almost impossible to get here in Belgium (but that will be the topic of another blog soon...)

... and my fruity pork stuffing
I also use this lovely stuffing over and over again because it's just brilliant - and easy:
Finely chop a handful of dried apricots and 5-10 sage leaves (depending on size). Add a few tablespoons of pine nuts (toasted if you have the time) and 2 handfuls of breadcrumbs. Chop a medium-sized onion (red ones are really nice for this) and a garlic clove or two. Sweat these off in a bit of olive oil, then mix into the rest of the mixture and season. (You might want to add a bit more olive oil to bind it all together). Then take your joint and either butterfly it (carefully cutting it in half lengthways almost to the end and then opening it up like a book) or, with a sharp long knive, cut a deep and wide pocket into it. Once stuffed, secure with a few rounds of butcher's string and you're ready to roast! 

Notes:
The stuffing quantities are for a joint of about 1 kg.

The dried fruit-sage-breadcrumb mixture freezes really well, and, since my sage died in the garden I have to "buy it in", I usually knock up a big batch using all the sage. Then I just shake out the required amount the next time to go with the (new) onion mix.

No comments:

Post a Comment